Thursday, January 8, 2015

Easy Pot Roast

Being a busy mom I love recipes I can throw in the oven and leave in oven for a few hours. Isn't it great to come home to hot meal?

This is a easy roast that I make on violin lesson night. The kids come home from school and we leave almost right away, we don't get back until 5:30. 

One thing I don't like is to cook my potatoes with a roast. For some reason, at least where I live, it seems to be a requirement to add potaotes. Before I leave the house I peel and cut my potatoes and let them sit in the pot of water until I get them. The second I walk in the door (or call the hubby 10 min before I get home) turn on the stove. I love mashed potatoes with some of the roast and juice on them or make some gravy out of the juices.

What you need:
3-5 pound chuck roast
Salt and pepper
6 carrots
2 onions
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 cups of beef broth
1 teaspoon  Rosemary
1 teaspoon thyme

Preheat oven to 275 degrees.

Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet. Add carrots and cook about 3 min or until they just start to get tender and the outside slightly browns. Remove from skillet and set aside.

Cut the onions in half and then put the in skillet for about 1 minute a side.
 

Rub salt and pepper on roast and then add remaining oil to skillet. Brown roast on both sides about 3-5 min a side.


Put roast into a baking pan.

I had to buy 2 roasts. I went to our local grocer and they cut all their roast at 2 pounds. Lesson learned, don't skip a trip to the butcher.

Using about 1 cup of beef broth pour into the skillet and using a whisk scrap the bottom of skillet to deglaze. 

Pour the broth from the skillet into pan with roast. Add more broth until it is about half covering the roast. Top with herbs. Place onions and carrots on top.


Cover and place in oven for 4 hours. The roast is ready when it easily falls adapt with a fork.

My favorite part of this roast recipe is the left overs. Shred up the left over beef and save the juices to make a delishs beef and vegetable and/or barley soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment