Thursday, December 25, 2014

Macaroni salad

#3 on the family favorite Christmas foods is Macaroni Salad. I can not remember where this recipe came from but I am so happy that it came into my life.

You will need:
16 oz box of macaroni noodles 
1 small jar of pimentos
1/2 cup chopped black olives
1/2 cup chopped bread and butter pickles (reserve the juice)
Green onions
1/2 cup mayo (I don't like Miracle Whip for this recipe it makes it too sweet)
1tablespoon vinegar
3 teaspoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
Black pepper
1/4 cup milk

First cook macaroni according to package directions.

While the noodles cook chop the olives (I buy whole and chop myself. I find that the chopped in a can ones to be chopped to fine for this recipe). Also chop the pickles and some green onions (I use about 3 green onions but this is a personal preference)

Then in a bowl mix together the sauce. Mix in the mayo, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper, milk and pickle juice ( I use around a tablespoon of juice this is also a personal preference.)

Mix the pimentos, pickles and olive into the sauce.

When the macaroni is done cooking drain it and then run cold water over it to cool it off.  Let it sit for a couple minutes to dry and then transfer to a large bowl.

Pour sauce (sauce will be runny but will soak into noodles as it sits) over the noodles and stir.

Cover and refrigerate salad for at least and hour or over night.

This salad is delish and I think it is a nice change from the heavy sauced macaroni salads.

No comments:

Post a Comment