Saturday, December 27, 2014

Turkey in roaster

This year we had all of our Holiday parties before Christmas. Our last party was my moms family party and 2 of my poor children had the flu. My husband stayed home with them but they were feeling all better on Christmas Day. I had a turkey that I had gotten for free that I decided to make for them on Christmas with all the fixings now that they could enjoy it.

I was pretty burnt out by Christmas so the sides were pretty basic we had mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, dressing and corn.

But I am here to tell you about this amaIng turkey.

You will need:
A turkey (mine was around 14 pounds but you may use the size to fit your need and just adjust the cooking time)
1 stick of butter 
4 cloves or 4 tablespoons of minced garlic
3 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
2 tablespoons horseradish
2 teaspoons of dried basil
2 teaspoons of dried thyme
1-4 onions quartered
Salt and pepper
1 cup chicken broth

I used a roaster to make my turkey so that my oven was free for the sides but this can easily be made in the oven.

Preheat oven or roaster to 350 degrees.

I do not have a fancy rack for my pan for the turkey to sit on so I place 3 quartered onions in my pan for the turkey to sit on.

Remove the neck and gizzards fr the turkey cavity. Place turkey in pan. Generously sprinkle the inside cavity of the turkey with salt and pepper and 2 cloves of garlic. Place 1 quartered onion into the cavity.

In a sauce pan melt the butter and then mix in 2 garlic cloves, 2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard, horseradish, thyme, basil and some salt and pepper.

Pour the butter mixture over the turkey and rub it in so that the spices are evenly spread.

 You can skip the next step and just baste the turkey and leave in oven for 2-1/2 hours or longer if needed depending on size. I think the next step makes the perfect flavorful and moist turkey. Mix chicken broth and 1 tablespoon of spicy brown mustard in a bowl. After turkey has roasted about 1 hour inject the broth in several areas of the turkey consent rating on the top of the breast. Make sure to get a little in the legs.

Now continue to roast another 1-1/2 to 2 hours.
You will have a delish and juice bird.



No comments:

Post a Comment