Monday, December 22, 2014

Southern green beans

I have so many wonderful foods to share with you. I have been so busy cooking for parties I have had no time to tell you about them. My next few posts will be a series of foods I made for my family this last weekend. We are usually rushed on Christmas to to get everything done so we decided to celebrate early this year.

First up in this series is Southern style green beans.

You will need:
Fresh green beans
1 pound of bacon or more because who doesn't love bacon
1onion- chopped
3 cups chicken broth
3 tablespoons of butter
Crushed red pepper to taste (I use about 1-1/2 tsp)

First cool the bacon. I ended up short a bit of bacon because of sneaky kids and grandpas.

Clean the beans and remove the ends.i cut them in half but you don't have to if you like your beans longer.


Then add beans, butter, broth, onion and crushed red peppers to pot. Crumble bacon and add to pot.


Now bring to a boil over medium high heat, then reduce heat and simmer for at least an hour. I simmered them for close to 2 hours which gave me time to work on other dishes.


Now enjoy these delish beans. This is my absolute favorite green bean recipe.



No comments:

Post a Comment