Monday, December 8, 2014

Pork tacos!

I have been gone for a week now because of Thanksgiving and my husband took a week of vacation to just hang out with me (and of course eat) I thought I would come back with amazing tasty recipe. Every good cook uses tips and recipes from other cooks. Some are hand me down recipie and some like this one are from your favorite tv host. This recipie is base on thepioneerwoman.com Spicy Dr Pepper Pork. I have been making these for years and they are a family favorite so I thought I would share.

You will need:

1whole large onion
1 pork shoulder (pork butt) 5-7 pounds
Salt and pepper
2 cans Dr Pepper
2 tbsp brown sugar
4oz green chilies diced
3-4 tbs adobo seasoning

Tortillas of your choice. ( I use small corn tortillas.)
Toppings of your choice (we use just lettuce and cheese and by request on this day we had sour cream)

The main difference between the way I make it and Ree (the Pioneer Woman) makes it is the chilies and adobo.

Her recipe uses 1-11oz can Chipotle Pepper in adobo sauce. My kids did not like the peppers. So I use the Chilies and Adobo seasoning but of course if you like the Chipotle pepper use them.  If you have some people that don't like spicy food you can leave out the Adobo seasoning or of course use less Adobo. Now that I have you thoroughly confused I will get to the recipe. 

On the day I made this recipe I started putting everything in the pan and realized I was out of Adobo seasoning. I used Creole seasoning on a whim because I didn't have time to run to the store. It was still amazing.

First you will cut the onion or onions if you like more into wedges and place in the bottom of pan (Ree's calls for a Dutch oven but I find it works fine in a cover pan as well).

Place the pork shoulder on top of the onions. Season with salt, pepper, seasoning and sugar. Pour the chilies on top.

Then add the Dr Pepper. I only had bottles my house so I used 1 bottle instead of 2 cans.
 
Now cover and bake in a 300 degree oven for about 6 hours. Turn the roast once or twice during the baking. After 6 hours it should pretty much fall apart when you touch it. If it doesn't fall apart you can bake it for another hour but I have never had it turn out not perfect after the 6.


Now you can shred the pork with 2 forks. I just leave it in the pan and shred it but you can shred it out of the pan and then just return it to the pan and toss it in all that amazing juice at the bottom of the pan.


Doesn't that delicious? Now ce the fun part. Put on some tortillas and topping and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment