Monday, June 25, 2012

Enchilada Casserole

I made a super simple Enchilada Casserole.  I made my tortillas but of course this could easily be made with store bought flour tortillas.

Tortillas
2 C of flour
about 2 tsp salt
2/3 C shortening
1 C cold water

mix the flour and salt together and then slowly add the shortening using a electric mixer after it becomes crumbles
then slowly add the water until it sticks together. Then you can roll it out with a rolling pin or use a tortilla press.
I love my tortilla press but they are alittle tricky to get your hands on.  You can get them online but finding them in a store can take some work. We have 5 kitchen stores in our town and only one carried them and they only ever kept one in stock, which seemed weird cause they always sold it right away and after a couple months I finally got there on a day that they had just got it in.

If you use a tortilla press I recommend covering it in plastic wrap, it makes it so much easier to remove the tortillas. If you do not add enough water it will not stick together well and you end up with this

If that does happen to you just add a little more water.

As you press them put them in a greased skillet for around a minute a side just till they are golden.
then for the super simple casserole I layered tortillas, enchilada sauce, taco meat, Monterrey jack cheese Repeat once more and then top with tortillas, sauce, and cheese.

 Bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 min. Serve with lettuce, tomato, and sour cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment