Wednesday, May 23, 2012

French Onion Soup

Last night my mom was at my house and here favorite food was French Onion soup but we always go to restaurants for her to have it and yesterday I set out to prove to her that she can even make it (my mom is a horrible cook, we were hamburger helper kids). 

French Onion soup

6 white onions
3 Tbsp butter
8 C beef broth
1 C water
garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste
provolone cheese
Asiago bread (Texas toast or croutons work as well)

Thinly slice onions.  Melt butter over low/medium heat. Add onions and cook stirring often over low heat making sure not to let them brown. (I cover it to get them softer faster) cook about 20 min or until onions are soft and translucent.


Add broth, water and seasoning to pot and simmering about 45 min. Once soup is complete scoop into bowls. Top each bowl with bread and then cheese. Place in broiler until cheese is melted and starting  to brown.


No comments:

Post a Comment