Monday, May 28, 2012

Monte Cristo

I promise that I don't deep fry everything I just realized this is twice this week I had the fryer out.  These are my favorite treat myself food.

18 slices wheat bread
6 slices Swiss cheese
6 slice American cheese
6 slices ham
6 slices of turkey

For the Batter:
1 1/2 C flour
1 egg, beaten
1 1/3 water
1Tbs baking powder
a pinch of salt

to make the sandwich stack them bread, ham, American, bread, turkey, Swiss and top with bread.
mix all the ingredient together for the batter. Then cut each sandwich in half and just like my momma I cut corner to corner.  Dip each half of sandwich in the batter .

Now some people say to hold them together in the fryer they put tooth picks through them and then pull them out before they serve them but I find it works just as well to dip about half the sandwich in and hold it there for about 10 seconds for the batter to set and then will hold it just fine. Cook in the 375 degree oil about 3 min a side.

Serve with raspberry Jelly for dipping and it is oh so good. I used peach raspberry jelly because I still had a jar that I had canned last summer and it is time to clean out the canning shelf so I can fill it back up this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment